15 March 2012

I Baked... {gasp!}

Let me first start out by saying that I CAN cook, I just choose the more efficient way to go about meals... and NOT cook. At this point in my life I do not see the point of making elaborate meals, desserts, etc. 
1- it's only H and I. Who likes to put all that work into only feeding two people?? And 2- if I made yummy things to eat, well... we would EAT them! I mean we would eat them ALL! One batch of cookies would not be divided between several people, children, or pets, but gobbled down by only the 2 of us (it's true- we have no self control). And this is tragic when we are both trying to get in shape. Therefore I choose not to cook (unless grilled chicken counts)...


So it was a bit of surprise to my coworkers on Monday when I brought in some homemade goodies! I have been obsessed with party planning websites/ blogs lately (when I grow up I would love to be a party or event planner, but that is for another post). And on all these sites there is an abundance of cake pops- seriously at almost every party a cake pop makes an appearance. So I got to thinking that they would be really cute for the baby shower that I am throwing for my cute cousin this spring. But since I am not quite experienced in the baking department I figured I should do a trial run first.... 


First... our supplies: chocolate cake, cream cheese frosting, candy melts, lollipop sticks.


Then... bake cake. let cool. crumble cake. stir in frosting.



Next... rolled cake into balls. inserted lollipop sticks. froze for 1 hour. melted coating. dipped cake. let cool.
 

Finished result.... very yummy!
I think they turned out pretty good, considering it was the first time. However, I am SO glad that I decided to make them once before using them for any parties.  There are several things I learned that I should and shouldn't do....

1. Once cake and frosting is mixed put in the fridge.
This will harden the mix a bit and will make the balls easier to make.

2. Use white or yellow cake mix with the lighter colored coating.
The chocolate showed through the yellow a bit.

3. Mix the yellow candy melts with white.
The yellow was super bright and I think it needs to be toned down a bit.

4. Dip lollipop sticks in melted candy before inserting into the cake pop.
This will make the pop more sturdy when dipping.

5. Need stand to hold pops.
The pops didn't look as pretty as I wanted. 
I just put them back on the baking sheet instead of putting them up in a stand to dry.

No comments: